This photo appeared in the Glam Today’s July 2013 edition as one of my creations, but there was no recipe attached! Here it is and Happy Sunday Funday!
I often call raw greens “chaff,” but with the proper flavor line up it’s easy to make the rabbit food sing!
I like using a whole orange in this recipe; zest, supremes of the fruit, and the juice in the vinaigrette. A lemon would work nicely as well but the orange brings a nice sweetness to counter the bitter taste or arugula. As always, I try to avoid adding extra sugar and/or salt whenever possible.
Total Time: 10 minutes | Serves 2
1 medium sized orange
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot (about 1/2 a shallot)
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon chopped basil
4 cups arugula
8 oz grilled chicken breast, sliced (about 2 small breasts)
1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 cup shelled pistachios
1. Zest orange into a medium sized bowl.
2. Supreme the orange, setting the pieces off to the side. Take the fleshy part that’s left after you supreme and squeeze all the juice out of it into the same bowl the zest is in.
3. Add oil, vinegar, shallot, salt, pepper and basil to the orange zest and juice. Whisk and set aside.
4. In a large bowl combine arugula, chicken breast and diced tomato. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and toss lightly.
5. Give the vinaigrette another whisk and pour into the salad and toss until thoroughly and evenly combined.
6. Divide the salad between two plates or bowls and top with supreme slices and pistachios.
Per Serving: 390 calories, 18g fat, 20g carbohydrates, and 40 grams of protein