My friday night cheat was epic. Pumpkin cake with pumpkin ice cream and salted caramel! Here is the recipe for pumpkin ice cream; it holds up well in the freezer but I recommend you nuke it for 20 seconds before dishing it out because it does harden up quite a bit.
Ingredients – makes a little more than 1 quart
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs until fluffy and well combined.
2. Add sugar in a steady stream and continue to whisk for another minute.
3. Add cream and milk and whisk another minute.
4. Pour about a cup of the mixture into another large bowl.
5. Add pumpkin and spices and whisk until uniform.
6. Transfer the pumpkin mixture back to the first bowl and combine thoroughly.
7. Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and wait for the magic to happen! My ice cream maker takes about 25 minutes, but check your directions.
8. Once its done (according to your ice cream maker’s manufacturer’s instructions) you can eat some immediately, but it will be a little loose and possibly a little lumpy. For best results transfer to a freezer-proof container and allow to freeze for 2 hours.
After 6 hours my ice cream was very hard, but 20 seconds in the microwave made it soft enough to scoop out.