They grow up so fast…
Today is Moxie’s 2nd birthday. I got her when she was eight weeks old.
Today is also Max-Nugget’s 5th birthday. Just adopted him in February. From his records the vet estimated his birthday to be July 7th but we fudged it over to the 10th so he can match his sister and we can have one big, fun, doggie-party.
I tasted this – it’s pretty good. I use applesauce instead of oil, which I find in most dog-cake recipes, but Nugget is working on getting slim and trim to match the family. A little honey and a tiny pinch of salt is fine for a single day of treats. Did their porterhouse steak breakfast count as a treat? These dogs eat better than most of my friends. Mommy is a chef who refuses to work in a restaurant; they’re like, “WINNING!”
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon applesauce
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
**frosting option: peanut butter, cream cheese, applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If using a convection oven preheat to 325.
2. Combine egg, peanut butter, applesauce, honey, and vanilla extract in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Add shredded carrot and mix well.
4. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt onto the mixture and again, fold to combine thoroughly.
6. Divide evenly into a 6-muffin/cupcake tin. You can fill to the top; they will rise but not too much.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until slightly golden-brown and toothpick comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.
9. Optional frosting. My dogs **DIE** for peanut butter so that’s what they get.