I’ve been playing with my new ice cream machine because it’s been sweltering outside. And because I love ice cream. You will need an ice cream maker for this. I have THIS one and I love it.
Makes 3 Cups: 6 Servings
1 1/2 cups ricotta
1/2 cup sugar
generous pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of one lemon
1/2 cup cream (heavy)
1 cup berries (fresh or frozen, if frozen defrost them until soft)
1. In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, sugar, salt, vanilla and lemon zest.
2. Using an emulsion blender puree until smooth. (You can also use a blender but I don’t like making a huge mess.)
3. Add cream and stir to combine well.
4. Add this entire mixture to the ice cream maker and freeze according to your model’s directions (mine takes about 25 minutes).
5. When the ice cream is at your desired consistency add the berries and stop the ice cream maker when the berries are mixed in to your liking.
6. At this point the ice cream is tasty but you should package it tightly and place in the freezer for at least a half an hour so it’s nice and firm.